This interior renovation for an architectural practice occupies the western half of the second floor of a recently renovated, 1925 auto dealership showroom. The space, in its raw form, is powerful with large, clear-span trusses, ample window openings on three elevations, and an exposed masonry shell. Special care was taken to retain this character.

The space is organized in two distinct zones: a large, loft-like studio space housing custom workstations, file storage, conference, and display space; and a linear service space with a kitchen, supply storage, private conference, and resource/sample library. The two zones are separated by a linear bank of shelving/storage cabinets which run the full length of the space. This organizational strategy was developed to maximize access to daylight and views for the designers working in the studio. With the exception of the shower room, storage closet, and file server room, every space is provided with access to daylight and views. In addition, the spatial elements employed throughout the space – workstations, files, book cases, storage cabinets – were designed to be relocated; allowing their life to extend beyond this building. The result is a large, open space which retains the natural character of the existing building.