The James Blythe was constructed in 1913 for James C. Blythe, the developer of Rock Glen. It was the third of three houses designed by Walter Burley Griffin in the Rock Glen neighborhood. It was designed with similar principles to the "Temple House" designed by Griffin in Winnetka, Illinois. It is the largest of the houses designed by Griffin in Mason City, centered around a beautiful view of the creek from the 33 foot living room space. The building's exterior wall construction is made from clay tile block covered with limestone base and stucco above.