Louis Sullivan’s original 1910 design included a gymnasium, highly organized Sunday school space, a dome of multicolored glass, and extensive exterior ornamentation. Its cost was twice what had been planned for, however, and rather than sacrifice his design, he withdrew from the project in 1912. The church hired a new architect, W. C. Jones, to finish the design work in a simplified form within a budget of $100,000. He made minor changes to the design, which is essentially still Sullivan’s work. Jones largely cut out many of the decorative details, such as four large angels on the church tower as well as interior changes in the auditorium. Construction started in 1913, and the church was dedicated in 1914.