This Collegiate facility, originally constructed in 1890 to serve as the college library, museum, chapel, and classroom spaces, has been revitalized and re-purposed into functioning, state-of-the-art classrooms and exhibit space. Since the1890’s the building has had several different occupants and uses until its abandonment by the 21st century. After a fund-raising campaign by the university to rehabilitate this campus landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the architect was challenged with bringing the building up to current codes and accessibility standards.

Two new additions to the east and west facades allowed for reorganized accessible vertical circulation in the building. Fresh new interior finishes occur through all levels of the building. Bamboo flooring was used at selected interior spaces. Moveable walls were provided at the Gallery to accommodate the flexible needs of different exhibits.

The original chapel space was converted to a multi-media classroom. The original library was converted to a museum display space. Textile conservation lab and storage facilities were also provided in the lower ground floor level. The building also houses the research for the extensive art-on-campus collection.

The exterior brick masonry was cleaned and re-pointed and over 20 different specialty shaped brick types were recreated to match the original. New limestone was located from the same quarries used over 100 years prior. Roofing tiles made from recycled rubber were used on the roof to recreate the original slate appearance.

This project was the first LEED® Certified building project on this campus, and one of the first LEED® Certified rehabilitation projects in the state.