Merchants' National Bank was built in 1914 and had its grand opening on January 1, 1915. Structurally the building is a rectangular box, with a magnificent main facade and a windowed side facade. Light is introduced into the interior by a series of stained glass windows that alternate with structural posts down the side of the building and through the colored glass skylight that comprises much of the ceiling. The unveiling of a Louis Sullivan building was given national coverage in the architectural press of the day and the Merchants' Bank was featured in an eleven-page spread in The Western Architect's February 1916 edition. Some of the plans and even the designs of the ornament were done by Sullivan's draftsman Parker N. Berry. Between 2008 and 2009 one of the lions in front of the building was damaged. Both lions have now been replaced.